Sunday, May 3, 2009

Finding a Subject to Photograph

Grape Leaf

I was walking around the backyard, camera in hand, just looking for something to photograph.

As I'm searching for a good photo subject, I see this leaf. I'm pretty excited.... Yeah, I know, it's just a leaf. But it's not just any leaf. This grape leaf is turned downward as it is trying to wrap itself around the fence. With the lighter colored underside of the leaf exposed, it stood out from the other leaves.

I've found that it's ok to move things out in nature, or to move yourself to get a different angle. For this photo, I moved this little leaf out from underneath the chain-link, so that the fence would not be a distracting factor.

It was a little windy, so a fast shutter speed was needed. I like the way the background is blurred, so the depth of field works in this photo.

No comments: